Topic Two - Belonging- Baptism/Confirmation
EYFS - Welcome:
Welcome into the Church family.
The Sign of the Cross.
Baptised in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
The simple sequence of the Baptismal Rite.
Some symbols used in Baptism: water, font, Easter candle, white garment.
Year 1 - Belonging:
- Baptism is an invitation from God to belong to the Church family.
- The Church family welcomes the one who is to be Baptised.
- A sacrament is God’s way of being present at special moments in our lives.
- The words of Baptism. ‘I baptise you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
- Some of the Rite of the Sacrament of Baptism.
- The role of parents and godparents.
- The Our Father.
Year 2 - Signs & Symbols:
- The Rite of Baptism.
- The signs and symbols used in Baptism; Easter candle, light, font, water, anointing with chrism, white garment.
- The reading of the Word of God.
- Recognition that Christians as members of the Church family act in a particular way because they are following the light of Christ.
- The role of parents.
Some of the symbols used in Baptism, particularly the candle given at Baptism.
Year 3 - Promises:
- What a Sacrament is.
- The structure of the Rite of the Sacrament of Baptism.
- Becoming a member of Church family.
- The celebration of the Word of God.
- The litany of the Saints.
- The renunciation of sin and Profession of Faith.
- Anointing with the Oil of Chrism.
- Symbolism of the lighted candle.
Year 4 - Called:
- The call of David and Samuel in the Old Testament.
- The call of the Apostles.
- The Sacrament of Confirmation.
- The Baptismal promises.
- The work of the Holy Spirit in our lives.
- The ways in which we can respond to the call of God.
- The example of people who responded to God’s call.
- The Trinity.
Year 5 - Life Choices:
- The Sacrament of Marriage.
- The call to holiness.
- Each person shares in the mission of Christ.
- Witness of Christian life.
- Christian service.
- The Beatitudes.
- Love of God and neighbour.
Year Six - Vocation & Commitment:
- Vocation to the priesthood and religious life.
- The ministerial priesthood.
- The Sacrament of Ordination.
- Some understanding of the evangelical counsels of poverty, chastity and obedience.
- The witness of all Christians through Baptism.